Saturday, January 15, 2005

Lady Jan was mistaken for a Muslem

My husband took us out to dinner the last night, and because it was cold I draped my long black scarf over my head, then flipped the end over my shoulders. When I got out of the car at the restaurant my daughter said that I looked weird, and I should take it off. But before I did, someone walking behind me did the the "Zenna warrior princess's yell", you know the one she does with her tongue.

I can't do it, everytime I try to do that yell, it just comes out "le-le-blllth!" It's also a middle East yell.

Well right after that, I took off my scarf and looped it around my neck like normal, and pulled out my long, frizzy red hair. Then the guy behind us said "Oh, I thought that was one of those rag-heads." Which of course I'm not! Then another voice said "Shhhh!"

I never looked around, as I was busy talking to my daughter. Maybe I should have! Maybe I should have gave him a piece of my mind, about being judgmental about people! Maybe I should have, but I didn't! What happened to tolerance in this country? Did we ever have any? Or was it a casualty of 9-11 too?

5 comments:

gar said...

Hello Lady Jan,
No, I haven't read any of the books you mentioned when you visited my site. Drop back by and tell me what they are about.
You probably did the polite thing by just ignoring that idiot - but I would have been very tempted to punch him in the nose.
I'm afraid tolerance is one of those elusive American "family values" that politicians talk so much about at election time but like most everybody else, they talk about it but they don't think it applies to them.
-- Gar

Janice said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janice said...

Gar-

Thank you for your comment!

And thank you for wanting to punch the "idiot" in the nose!

I will drop in, and talk to you some more about Pat Hodgell's books.

Yeah "tolerance", and "family values!" Maybe like "charity" it begains at home.

Lady Jan-

The Singing Butler said...

What an idiot!! I'm doubly surprised because you (and I) live in California, usually perceived as a pretty liberal and tolerant state. You totally should have turned around and given him a piece of your mind.

Janice said...

Hello singing Butler,

Yeah, maybe I should have! But I didn't, alas.

Hmmm, well, yes California in general is a liberal state!

But, I live in a small town, in the middle of the San Jaquin Valley, and it's really still a small farming comunity. And it has a monopoly on small town pettiness, and small mindedness.

Lady Jan