Sunday, October 23, 2005

Lady Jan's dog has a birthday!

This our dog Mitzi, she has has a birthday today.
I can just imagine your eyes rolling about now, "Oh she is one of those bloggers that have to write about her dog or cat too."

That's not it, exactly. It's just that she has reached an extreme old age for a dog, and as such deserves some reconition.

My dog Mitzi as of today had reached the age of eighteen! And that's quite old for a Cocker spaniel.

She has had gone through a lot to get through to this ripe old age: she was born with immature cataracts, and we were told she would go blind and she has. She has had an intestinal virus twice that almost killed her, she got lost and was hit by a car when she was just a puppy. And she got lost again a few years ago, and was missing for almost a week, when she finally showed up at my mom's house (of all places), she had been bit on the face by what I believe was a coyote. She has also survived breast cancer, and had to have one of her breasts removed.

So she has a few scars, but as of today she is doing well enough for an eighteen year old blind deaf dog. Oh, did I forget to mention that she's a little hard of hearing? That's okay, I think it is the same kind of hearing loss my grandmother had. She couldn't hear a thing if you where right in front of her shouting "How are you Grandma?"(and she had a hearing aid) But if you went in the kitchen and spoke quietly with my Aunt on a subject that might upset grandma, grandma would answer you from the livingroom, "Yeah, I knew that man was no good!".


In other words the silly dog only hears when she wants to.

No comments: