Thursday, February 22, 2007

Lady Jan rates Bridge to Terabithia

I recently went to see the Bridge to Terabithia
with my daughter and her friend and of course my husband.
This is not a move like Alice through the looking glass, or a trip to Narnia.
.
No.
.
This a movie made from a book about two lonely kids who make friends and invent a world that comes from the imagination.
.
Jess is the only boy of five kids the rest are all girls, he even shares a room with his five year old sister, and the baby (sister). He draws all the time, he's the artist.
.
Leslie is the new kids, and she runs very fast and beats Jess on the first day they meat during a race. But Leslie is a writer and has quite the imagination and she writes and tells wonderfully imaginative stories that come alive in Jess's mind.
.
It takes a while for the kids to make friends--then they are fast friends.
.
But it is not a whole complete world 'accent' the world of the imagination.
.
They use the game of theirs to empower themselves, and to escape from there daily trials at home and at school. and Bullies.
.
Uh-hum, and there is a bully named Janice? Excuse me? That's not right.
.
They find a place behind the land that Jesse's family owns that you have to cross a deep creek to get too, and once there it becomes Terabithia to them. They fix an old tree house make up stories, and act them out.
.
Until one them dies.
.
Sorry, but if you go to this movie I think you should be warned that there is a death.
.
Luckily it happens off camera and the surviving child doesn't see it, but it was sad really really sad and I and my party sat there and cried right through the rest of the movie.
.
Then the survivor (I'm not saying who it is I don't want to spoil the ending), but that person goes through the three phases of loss:
.
Disbelief
Anger
Then finally acceptance
.
Then the survivor builds a bridge (a real one) and shares this make believe world with another.
.
This Movie gets a Lady Jan rating of C+
Because of the death of a child.
.
And because of that death.
I also don't think this is suitable
movie for children under the age
of ten.

6 comments:

Lee said...

Well, it sounds like a movie I would cry in, too. I cry at the drop of a hat...anything...I'm hopeless. I even well up in happy movies! ;)

Granny said...

I saw the review on Ebert & Roper this weekend and Roper issued a warning too.

I agree - it it's a movie about kids, we should know ahead of time that there will be sadness.

They loved it though.

Jeanette said...

it sounds like my kinda movie were you need a box of tissues

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Lee,

You and me both, and I even cry at those silly Christmas kids movies--I'm hopeless!

Hi Ann,

I think there should be a warning, but I'm glad your kids loved it.

Hi Jeanette,

Yes, if you saw this one you would need it, and dang it I didn;t bring any!

Hi Dave,

I don't know, how are you at sad movies?

Your Lady Jan~

Turtle Guy said...

Depends on the movie... but I'd have to say... well... sad.

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Dave,

Well, this one is very sad, but the risk is yours to take.

Lady Jan~