Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Happy Fat Tuesday!



New Orleans celebrates Fat Tuesday

NEW ORLEANS - Thousands of hurricane-weary residents joined with rowdy visitors for Fat Tuesday, taking a break from rebuilding New Orleans to put on wild costumes and celebrate the second Mardi Gras since Hurricane Katrina.

John Ferguson, who is still rebuilding his house almost 18 months after the storm, said of the celebration: "We never needed it more."

"I work all day at my job; then I work all night and all weekend on my house," Ferguson said. "I just want to eat, drink and have fun today."

Many spectators spent the day along the parade routes or in the French Quarter, where the first Mardi Gras parade of the day was staged by the 1,250-member Zulu Social Aid and Pleasure Club, a predominantly black group that wears grass skirts and black face makeup in parody of stereotypes from the early 1900s, when it was founded.

"I'm hyped up," said Ike Williams, a 42-year-old Atlanta contractor who is black, marching in his first parade as a member of Zulu's Walking Warriors. "I couldn't sleep last night. This is the center of the universe right now."

Earlier in the day, Mayor Ray Nagin rode a horse down St. Charles Avenue.

"We're going to make it happen," Nagin told the crowd at Gallier Hall, which served as city hall for more than a century. "We're going to rebuild this city regardless."

7 comments:

Lee said...

Good to hear their spirits and hearts are still willing and ready to start again. :)

Granny said...

Brave souls down there.

I totally forgot Mardi Gras this year until today when I remembered it was Ash Wednesday.

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Lee,

Yes they are a determaned much down there, and wish them well with the rebuilding.

Hi Ann,

Yes they are.

We have a Mardi Gras in the Tower district of Fresno, and once again something happened!

Some one went nuts and serveral people were shot by one man who was then killed by the police.

It leave things up in the air if there will be a Mardi Gras next year.

Lady Jan~

Turtle Guy said...

I was saddened to learn I'd missed the pancake supper at the church last Tuesday. I was taking in an extra pottery class though in light of the fact i didn't have an English class for "Reading Week".

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Dave,

Oh dear that's too bad, maybe you can make up for it the next time and eat double?

Lady Jan~

Turtle Guy said...

yah... pop me right out of my shell... good thinkin'!

Turtle exposed! Eeeks!

Janice Seagraves said...

cover-up that turtle hinny!