Friday, June 23, 2006

Lady Jan's Swamp Cooler Adventure

Last night I heard running water, and said, "Oh no, something amiss!"

No I didn't! Who talks like that? But I did think to myself--
self--You know you need to go out and see if the hose to the swamp cooler has busted! But self, I don't want to be mosquito chow! So--check on it tomorrow! Okay self, that's sounds like a good idea!

Next day--Oh crap!


Not only did the hose busted and looked like a Geyser, but it was the brass part of the old hose that got broken off into the adapter. The adapter connects the garden hose to the swamp cooler, and provides water to the cooler. I did try prying the brass out but the adapter, but It's plastic, and old. And soon I gave-up because if I did that I'd just wreck it. Then the problem was to find the tools to unscrew the adapter from the water cooler line, so I can then replace the adapter.

Which don't sound like a hard job at all, but then you don't know my husband! He keeps all the good tools at work, and all the crap tool scattered about here at home. We do have an old tall tool box on the porch left over from my husbands first industrial job working at a plastic factory. Back then he's oh so wonderful co-worker broke into his tool box and stole his tools. So we replaced it with a almost brake-in-proof tool box, and the old tool box was placed on the porch, and it was suppose to hold the home tools in.

It doesn't.

It holds some old broken down tools and some other miscellaneous stuff, but not the wrenches I needed.

S-0-0, I had a fine time looking for the tools I needed.

And I really need to get this fixed, because the next week it's gonna be in the triple digits, and a 107 degrees today. God, was it hot today! My husband could fix it, but he has been pulling some major hours at work, and when he comes home all he does is vege infront of the TV and then falls a sleep in the recliner. And I want the house to be cool for him when he comes home.

I found one adjustable wrench, which only succeeded in spinning it around, and around, and around. Well--that's not going to work!

Then I got lucky--another wrench! Yay! But, it was on so hard that all I was able to do was. . . .


Posted by Picasa

"Ouch!" I pinch my finger! That how I got my blood blister.

Then eureka! I found two pipe wrenches hiding under my bed! You naughty things--so that's where you've been hiding.

After all the trouble I had earlier it was almost anticlimactic the way it came off s-o-o-o easily. But my husband has the car so how do I get the part?

Then more luck!

My mom called just then, as if on cue! And "Yes," she'll take me to Home Depot to get the part I needed. I treated for lunch, and came home and I simply screwed it into place, and turned on the water.

TA DA! It works!

Then my husband come home and looked at it, and said, "You did a good job Hun, but I think something wrong with the float." After he opened the swamp cooler up he said, "Oh, look the float is broken."

Back to Home Depot we went!

8 comments:

ipodmomma said...

ooohhh... what did you do?

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Ipodmomma,

I hadn't finished with my post when you left your comment. I hope you will check back and see that I put in words, and things that looks like sentances!

Lady jan~

megz_mum said...

Lucky you are handy with tools! The blood blister does look sore, though.

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Megz_mum,

It's no secret but my father was a body and fender man, and I have been around tools all my life.

When my husband and I had our appliance business, I helped with some of the repairs.

My finger isn't too bad, at least not until my daughter got through doctoring it.

Lady Jan~

Merle said...

Hi Janice ~~ Well done, you did a good job. Hope the blister heals soon. The water cooler I have is on the roof, so I hope yours is not. Thanks for comment on jokes and Kathy's finger, thanks.
Take care, Merle.

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Merle,

Our Swamp cooler blows a window in our kitchen, and the cooled air pretty much goes through the house from there.

My finger is on the mend thanks, but I hope your daughter's is better soon as that sounded awfully painful.

Lady Jan~

Granny said...

I went on tool strike a while ago. I can't count the times I've gone through, organized all the tools, made space for them and then, two days later, couldn't find a hammer.

Now I have my own separate space with a hammer, a couple of screwdrivers, pliers, etc. And I have threatened everyone with grievous bodily harm if they go near it.

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Ann,

I don't blame you! When you need a hammer you need one! I have two and they are always going missing!

I realy need a set of tool for home, and not scattered about like the are now.

Lady Jan~