Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Lady Jan at the Movies

The summer run of movies is finally here! And like most people me, and my family have started to go see them. Yay!

The first movie we saw was X-Men 3 The last stand. I enjoyed the movie, but in the opening first few minutes a young mutant was deliberly maiming himself (erk!). Which set his father in search of a cure for mutan-ism(I think that's right). The cure is found in the form of a boy mutant who's power is to cancel out other mutant's power, and a serum is made from his blood. A war is coming from this and it is pitting mutant again non-mutant like never before!

You like action? There is more action in this movie then in the previous X-men movies.
You like drama? There is more of that too!
There is also more mutants, more destruction, and more deaths than any other previous X-men movie.

And it's the last one! (Sob!) No more will be made, (still sobbing) because they killed off some of the popular characters, and some of my favorites as well(crying uncontrollably).
I rate this movie a B-.

Over the hedge is the next movie that we went to see this just past weekend.
I really enjoyed this fun family movie. There is some mild crude humor like you expect from these kids movies these days, but only in a few place so not so bad.

Bruce Willis is the voice of RJ a wise crack mistivious raccoon, who get himself in some trouble with a homicidal bear who gives him a week to get his snacks back--think Yogi the bear's evil twin.

Then he discovers the woodland creatures that make up Vern's family. Vern's voice is done superbly by Garry Shandling.

The woodland critters wake-up after a long winters nap to discover this huge, big, long, green thing growing in their forest. The hedge cuts what is left of the forest, more a park now, from suburbia that was build during their long winters nap.

Enter RJ to show them the way, and trick them into gathering the snackage for the bear too.
Then they run afoul of the president of the neighborhood assiation, who hires the ultimate pest terminator--then things get really interesting!

I like the movie a lot! I thought it was better than Madigascar and X-Men., with some really good comic bits too.

I rate it an A.

4 comments:

ipodmomma said...

nice to know where I can go for reviews... :)))

Spencer went and saw Da Vinci Code last weekend, and he thought it was pretty good...

megz_mum said...

We really enjoyed the X-men movie, and also feel sad there will be no more. Sounds like "over the hedge" will be worth a visit also.

megz_mum said...

Forgot to say - we sorted out the "doona" word usage - sounds like most people call them "duvets", I have posted a picture of the patchwork quilts.

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Ipodmomma,

It looks like this maybe some of what I'll be doing in future posts, because we've planing to see a lot more of the summer's movies.

So please stay tuned to this same blog, and this same blog channel.

I want to see the Da Vinci code too, but haven't yet. I read the book and it was a great read! I couldn't put the darn thing down, and I pulled an all nighter getting the rest of it read.

Hi Megz_mum,

Yeah, ditto on X-men, but on the by and by there are rumors that there maybe a Wolverine or Magnito spin off! Stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed.

Doona? Duvets I kinda have an idea about, but quilts yeah, I grew up sleeping under my grandmother's and my mother's homemade quilts.

I know you live in another country from me, and even though we speak the same lauguage sometimes the cultural differences make understanding difficult--so I asked the questions, because I want to learn. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know the answer. If there is ever something I post that is not clear or you don't understand please don't hesitate to ask a question.

And that goes to anybody that reads this. I really don't mind.

Your Lady Jan~