Thursday, June 30, 2016

New Home

On June 28, 2015, last year, my husband and I signed the papers for our house. 

I was so nervous. 

The weekend before, the old farm house where we lived for the past 25 years, needed the well worked on and something was wrong with the septic system. We literally had no running water for days.

We were without water in 100+ heat. 

My husband went to get water from my parents' house and we used the buckets to flush the toilet. We ate microwaved food off paper plates to save on dishes. 

The morning of the 28th, when we were to sign the final paperwork to buy our house, my husband and I washed in an ice cold bucket of water. 

I smoothed back my dirty hair into a tight bun and hoped no body noticed. 

I thought to myself, I can do this. My daughter is about to have a baby, and I can sign thirty years of my life away to have a steady supply of running water, a toilet that will flush without a bucket of water to pour into it, and a bigger house.

No comments: