Tuesday, December 04, 2012

The Christmas Gift



The nicest gift anyone ever gave me was just before Christmas a number of years ago. My husband and I ran a appliance store. My husband fixed the appliances and I answered the phone, ordered parts and set up appointments.

My husband was late to one appointment to an elderly couple, and the wife called to chew me out about it. My husband was only ten minutes late. When he showed up to their house, the lady's husband apologized to my husband about the phone call.

The phone call had me rattled, but I added it up to doing business in a small town.

The next day my husband went to do another run of appliance repair appointments, and came back with a beautiful poinsettias plant.  It was a gift from another elder couple and it was for me. They said, "It was for the nice lady on the phone who helped us out so much."

For a moment I was completely speechless and burst into tears.
It's a lesson I never forgotten: kindness can mean so much to someone having a bad day.

4 comments:

Lee said...

Yes...sometimes we can be humbled, can't we! ;) It happens to us all, Janice! :)

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Lee,

I certainly was. :)

Janice~

Unknown said...

ABSOLUTELY!!!! Those little gestures go such a long way!

Janice Seagraves said...

Yxory,

Yes, they do. :)

Janice~