We live in the middle of a almond orchard and it's Harvest Season which means...
*All photos were taken by me or my daughter
1. All these lovely almond blooms
2. That opened in the early spring time...Fell off.
3. The nut has matured during the long hot summer.
4. And the almonds have dried and the outer shell popped open
5. Dried Almond
6. Almond cracked open and ready to eat.
The Harvest begins on Thursday Aug. 30, 2012, which means I get woken up bright and early by the machines shaken the bejessus out of the trees and hear the hiss of almonds hitting the ground.
7. In my home garden, we're also grown tomatoes
8. Green peppers
9. Which turned finally to red peppers
My daughter cooked them with chicken and pasta, yummy.
10. There's several orange trees on the property, which makes an awesome orange Julius.
11. My husband and daughter's favorite, grapefruit.
12. We have a few strawberry plants
13. Which keeps us in strawberries, yum!
Do you do anything special during harvest season?